Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Graf #11

Research

     I "Google" a lot.
     You know that thing on the internet where you type in any question, word, phrase, or letter and you instantly become a doctor, scientist, stalker, chef, navigator, know-it-all, etc.
I've decided to type "How to" into my Google bar, (I begin with this a lot), and describe to you my research about the first thing that pops up in my Google history.

     And the winner is:
     "How to remove powder acrylic nails."
     Oh boy, this is quite a story.

     The beginning of Summer 2012, I was still living with my parents, I had just graduated high school, and I thought it would be a marvelous idea to work two jobs, acquiring 18 hours a day. It was awful, but worth it when I got my shiny, fat pay-checks. One Saturday morning, I put my checks in the bank and decided that I deserved a little pampering. I had never gotten "fake" nails before, as people call them, so I stopped into a little salon in Ellsworth, Maine to have some put on. I was in love with my nails; they looked gorgeous, and I was having a fun time with my new-found long nails, which I had never had before due to my nail-biting habit.

     Two weeks went by, which is the average life-span for acrylic nails, and I couldn't find the time to go to the salon to have them removed. Eventually, my natural nails had grown so much and had been covered for so long that they had begun to hurt. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands, and Googled "How to remove powder acrylic nails." I watched several videos where women showed me the step-by-step process of removing fake nails. A billion videos and 5 hours later, those little acrylic demons were still stuck on my hands.

     If you're wondering the outcome of my battle, I did eventually get the nails removed myself, but not without accidentally ripping my REAL pinky nail out.... ouch. :( But from my personal research, I learned a valuable lesson: I am NOT a nail technician, and I will NEVER get fake nails again. I'm happy with my short, natural nails that I will never get out of the habit of biting.

1 comment:

  1. You might be able to turn this into a how-to or how-not-to process essay later in the semester. It has a nicely relaxed, personal tone.

    ReplyDelete