Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Process Essay (#7)

     My palms are sweaty. So many different questions and answers are coursing through my mind. I feel as if the people here are judging me, or sizing me up. My breathing has accelerated from the nerves. A life-changing event is about to occur, and I'm trying hard not to let my panic show through. I sit down in my chair across from the person who will choose my fate. Job interviews are a trying experience for anyone, and anyone who has had one has probably felt like this at least their first time around. There are many things that I have learned to do and say during my interviews that make them so much easier, and a success.
 
     I remember my very first interview. It took place after a school day in one of the final days of my Freshman year in High School. I remember that when the last bell rang that ended the day, I was instantly in a nervous sweat. I had been dreading going to this interview all day long, and nothing that anyone had ever taught me about interviews was relevant anymore. I was so nervous, that I stood at the front desk for several minutes before I decided to tell them that I had an interview, and needed to be shown where to go. When I finally sat down with the woman who was going to interview me, my hands were visibly shaking, and I couldn't sit still. I think the woman could tell I was nervous, because she asked me if it was my first interview. Still nervous, I said yes, and she started to ask me a bunch of questions about what I would do in certain situations, and what I have accomplished so far in my life. Most of my answers took me a little while to come up with, and there was a lot of silence. I tried not to be so nervous, but no matter what I did I was still sitting there shaking, trying to catch my breath. Near the end of the interview, the lady started talking to me like any other person, and asked me what I usually do after school, and continued by talking about her granddaughter who shared my name. By the end, I wasn't so nervous, and I was able to talk to her and be myself. I learned that if you are in the mind set of talking to just a normal person, anyone that you could be talking to at school, in a store, or even a friend or family member. I just act like I'm having a conversation with someone about me and what I want, and my nerves calm down nicely!

     After experiencing a couple of easy-peasy interviews, I was surprised when I went to a not so easy one, and I had a difficult time answering their questions. The interviewer started asking me questions like, "Can you think of a time where you had great customer service and your customer was extremely satisfied with you?" I find those questions difficult, because I have a hard time with self recognition. I don't want to feel like I am bragging. After the interview, I decided that it would be a good idea to think ahead about all the answers to those questions before actually entering an interview. I go back through my work history and try to remember different occurrences that stick out in my mind, and remember them to use during my interview.

     My most favorite interview I have had was for a dog washing position at PetSmart. The whole interview was giving me opportunities to tell stories, talk about my feelings, and give lots of information about myself. The interviewer was an older woman who was one of those people that loves to tell stories all the time. The interview was about an hour of us talking about our past pets, our family, our experiences, and why I wanted to wash dogs. (Because dogs are so much fun to wash!!) This was the best lesson that I had ever gotten from an interview. Any chance that you can take to tell stories and talk personally with your interviewer, take the chance! I discovered that this makes them more comfortable with you as it does you with them! They're probably more likely to hire you if they have had a real discussion with you and have related to you on a personal level. This is my KEY goal in interviews now!

     When I walk into an interview, I remind myself to pretend like it's a normal, every day conversation, I remember the answers to the normal interview questions, and I remember to look for any chance I can get to talk personally with my interviewer! Since I have started using these tips, and I have been hired for every job I have interviewed for, (2 so far using my tips!). But one thing you shouldn't do is ramble, which I have also found out. The interviewer may like stories, but they despise rambling. I kissed that job goodbye!

1 comment:

  1. Nice combination of a process with tips with personal stories with personal tone and voice in the writing--you nimbly avoid the trap of giving advice or instructions.

    Glad to take it.

    ReplyDelete