Sunday, November 4, 2012

Essay #6 (Effect Essay)

     Sometimes it seems that we would go to the end of the earth for the ones that we love, and would do anything for our best friends, even if we have reservations about these things. I would do anything for my best friend, from being anywhere at anytime if she needed me, or letting her borrow my things. But sometimes, even when our friends have the best intentions, you end up losing things that are important to you. When I let my best friend borrow my car, one of the most important things in my life, and it came back totaled, it gave me second thoughts about our friendship, a huge problem with my parents, and a loss of freedom.

     Not only was it a really cold, winter day, but I knew that she wasn't the best driver. When I got the call that my best friend had gotten into a "little accident" with my car, I tried my best not to get angry and ask her what the hell she was thinking, but the impending doom that was certain to come from the situation was taking over my thoughts. When my car was ruled totaled, it took all of my sanity and concentration not to lose it on my best friend. In my mind, I wanted to tell her that I couldn't forgive her after wrecking one of the biggest parts of my life, the tool I use every single day, something I need to pretty much survive. At that point in time, I didn't know what I was going to do.

     The next thing I thought was "oh, crap. My parents are going to kill me." My mom especially always told me to never, ever, EVER let anyone use my car, because nothing good could ever come out of it. The condition was if they found out that anyone uses my car, it was to be taken away from me. I decided that this was more of a phone conversation, more for my safety than anything, I worked up the courage to call my mom and tell her the news. The impending doom was now actual doom. I'm very surprised that my mom did not lose her voice that day, and that I am not deaf in my right ear. To this day, I'm constantly reminded that my car is MY car, and nobody else should get behind the wheel.

     Of course, since my car had been totaled, the worst thing to come from it was my loss of freedom. For months I had to depend on others for rides whenever I wanted to go anywhere. If I was bored, I had to find something to do around the house, because I couldn't go anywhere. I was harshly reminded of the boring years before my sixteenth birthday, and it was awful. For those 4 months, I did a lot of reading, surfing the internet, and endless amounts of homework.

     In the end, I ended up forgiving my best friend. After all, it was only a car, and even though my car was one of the most important tools in my life, I definitely believe that having my best friend is even more important. I eventually got a new car, and my life was saved! The lesson I learned from this is quite obvious: never let anyone use your car. But the not so obvious twist to this story, is that my boyfriend drives my car almost every day. Some people don't learn, but there will always be consequences on way or another!

1 comment:

  1. You probably should have tied your topic to 'tools' more tightly in graf 1, but that issue aside, this is definitely an effect essay and is detailed and individual.

    Glad to take it.

    ReplyDelete