Friday, November 2, 2012

iSearch RESTART!

What do you want to write about? My obsession with tattoos

What do you want to find out about your topic? 
The history of tattoos and how they work.

What are your questions about the topic?
Where did the idea of tattoos come from?
How were the first tattoos done?
How does the ink stay in your skin?
Why are some people against tattoos?

Subquestion?
 Is it stressful for tattoo artists when they worry about how their work will come out?
Why are there tattoo age laws?
Why are they considered sinful?
Do you have to be good at all art to be good at tattooing?

Give three reasons why you like the topic:
I have a fascination with tattoos.
I'd like to know how the equipment that is being used on my skin is made.
It bothers me when people don't get jobs or are looked down upon for tattoos, so I would like to know why people think that way.

Give three ways your life might change if you answer your questions:
I'll feel more comfortable with the equipment.
I'll be able to explain to people why it isn't a bad thing to get tattoos. (Hopefully)
I'll be able to tell people cool facts that they might not know :)




BRAINSTORM

What did tattoos mean when they first came about?
What year did they originate?
Which country/culture started doing tattoos?
How were tattoos done when they first originated?
How does the ink stay in your skin?
When did the tattoo age law get put into place, and why?
What are some reasons to be against tattoos?
Why are visible tattoos a problem in professional places?
Can tattoos do damage to your body? Are they safe?


BACKGROUND

     Years before I even turned 18, I had a growing interest in tattoos. I loved seeing other people's tattoos, and I loved hearing the stories about the meanings behind them. Some stories are simple or silly, such as the tattoos gotten by a girl I know, a big flower on her left side, and a coy fish on her right side, only because she wanted to cover up her stretch marks from being pregnant twice. Some stories are sad or meaningful, like the giant cross on the back of a man I know, with his passed mother's name on it, and lilies, his mother's favorite flower, laid all around it. I was always coming up with new ideas about what my first tattoo would be when I turned 18. Some of these ideas included simple things, like my favorite quote "Never regret anything that once made you smile," or maybe the Chinese symbol for "Love." More complex things, like a big, beautiful, detailed, realistic owl sitting in a tree on my back (ow, that would hurt), or a bouquet of beautiful lupines tied with ribbon, with the initials EMRK, for my passed grandmother. I constantly drew out pictures that I thought would make great tattoos that I still have, such as two doves carrying a banner that says "Always Have Faith," or this silly, comic picture of a long-necked dinosaur with no real meaning; only that it's just a silly, fun thing to do.
     On December 7th, 2011, or the day that I turned 18 years old, I was immediately in a tattoo chair. My very first tattoo ended up being a piece of flash art from my favorite movie of all time, The Lion King, which was a picture Rafiki's tree drawing of Simba. This year I'll be nineteen, and I have a total of 5 tattoos, and I don't plan of stopping there

WHY I'M WRITING

      On top of my love for getting tattoos, I have always wanted to know how the idea came about, and how it was done before vibrating tattoo guns and tattoo ink.
I want to know:
  • What were the meanings of the very first tattoos?
  • What is the years and the origins of tattoos?
  • How were tattoos done when they first originated?
  • How does the ink stay in place in your skin? Why doesn't the body reject it?
  • Why did age restrictions on tattoos get put into place, and when?
  • Many people think of tattoos as immoral and sinful. Why?
  • Why do places of business look down upon tattoos?
  • Can tattoos do damage to your body? Are they safe?
  • Do tattoo artists suffer from a lot of stress from putting personal work on people's bodies?

ISEARCH RESEARCH PLAN

I'm going to do a lot of Google research when I deal with the history part. AVOID WIKIPEDIA! I have gotten into a lot of trouble using Wikipedia before, because it provided me with incorrect information.
Use personal experiences if I end up talking about what it's like getting a tattoo or the conversations had with the artist while they're working.
I'm planning on going to local tattoo shops as well as doing some research about famous tattoo artists and asking them questions about how they got into tattooing, how they learned to tattoo, if it's stressful, and if it's hard to do.
I'm going to ask a lot of people their opinions about tattoos, including people with tattoos, people without,  professionals in business where you cannot have visible tattoos, older people, parents, etc.

I don't see problems with my research. There

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to come at this in multiple comments today and tomorrow.

    Most important: some of the questions are filler, the kind of questions that are for research papers but that don't work for isearch. If the questions are just for curiosity and the answer is sitting out there in wiki or another site you trust more, it's not worth putting into the isearch.

    So, in your list of questions in the why section, I would argue that you drop the first three questions. The other questions are much more closely tied to you and your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing other people's tattoos, and I loved hearing the stories about the meanings behind them. Some stories are simple or silly, like tattoos that people get just for fun. Some stories are sad or meaningful, like portrait or memorial tattoos. I was always coming up with new ideas about what my first tattoo would be when I turned 18, and I constantly drew out pictures that I thought would make great tattoos.

    This is just begging to be unpacked, to be explained in detail.

    * What tattoos did you see?
    * What stories did you hear?
    * What sort of ideas did you come up with?
    * What sort of pictures did you draw?
    * Was Simba flash art the tattooist had ready or a design of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wikipedia has its problems but is still very useful and I wouldn't necessarily avoid it. You have to be skeptical of any information you find ANYWHERE except the most obvious and bland.

    Controversial topics on wiki will perhaps require extra caution, but if you were looking up 'papermaking,' or 'electricity,' or 'kitchen cookware,' I imagine you could use the material you found without much worry. Obviously topics like evolution, abortion, global warming are a little hotter.

    So, what "trouble" did you get into with wiki?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm done commenting on this material but your first draft is due in less than two weeks so between now and then keep posting the isearch assignments you have missed and I will comment on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went into this post and added more detail based on the comments you made about it. Currently the only iSearch assignments I have missing now are the bibliography, which I will be posting today, and a progress report, which this is. :)

    ReplyDelete