Thursday, August 30, 2012

Graf #4


Reaction to “Advice to Writers”

While I was reading through this advice, I wondered if Mr. Goldfine read my mind, and then used what I think while I write as a “Things Not To Do” guide. I am guilty of all of this advice, especially ignoring subjects that I think would be found boring to anyone but me. I am often choosing subjects that I believe will please my teachers instead of choosing ones that are interesting to me as the writer. I over-think everything I’m writing, and one of my worst habits is editing while I write, instead of writing everything on my mind and going back to edit later. So far, I have found myself glancing back at this advice while I am writing my grafs. Since I have been writing the same way for however many years I have known how to write, it’s proven difficult for me to get rid of these bad habits. I plan to continue using this advice throughout the rest of my writing career (a.k.a., until I die.)

2 comments:

  1. Knowing your sins is the first step to conquering them, but in writing, it's all a matter of habit (and finding better ones) and then of attitude (keeping proud of yourself), not a matter for resolutions or will power. You live out your problems and then you live out the solutions, such as they are, right there on the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea if that makes any sense, but there you go....

    ReplyDelete